You Are Here
Alternate Activity 2: Rules We Live By
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Paper and pens/pencils
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Set paper and pens/pencils on work tables.
- Optional: Post blank newsprint.
Description of Activity
Invite children to sit at work tables, addressing each child by name. If you do not remember a name, ask the child, then remind them of your name using the address you prefer (Ms./Mr. X, or your first name). Say to each child, in your own words:
This is a place of respect where we care about each other. How are you feeling today?
Listen to their answer and respond appropriately.
Indicate the paper and pens/pencils on the tables. Invite children to make a quick list of rules they follow in their lives. They may write the rules or draw picture symbols.
Give the children several minutes to write or draw. Then invite volunteers to share the rules they have written down. Point out themes as they emerge, for example:
- Rules that are for our health
- Rules for physical safety
- Rules that involve social manners
- Rules that involve being together with people who might have different needs than you (noisy/quiet, active/settled, abilities differences).
Point out any rule a child mentions that sounds like a form of the Golden Rule.
Including All Participants
At this age there can be a wide range in writing abilities. Include the option of drawing pictures and symbols. Help children decide how to represent a rule.