You Are Here
Faith In Action: Raise Funds for Margaret Barr Children's Village
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Photos and description of the Margaret Barr Children's Village
Preparation for Activity
- Invite parents and children to a planning meeting to determine how you will raise funds. Be ready to offer ideas and then to guide the group to plan it themselves.
- Post or have copies of photos and description of the Margaret Barr Children's Village in the Khasi Hills of India.
Description of Activity
Organize a fundraising project to raise support for and awareness of the Margaret Barr Children's Village in India's Khasi Hills. The fundraiser could span several months, for example, if you are collecting items like ink cartridges. Or, plan a one-time fundraising activity for after a worship service.
- If you serve a larger congregation, consider an Empty Bowl Fundraiser. This entails offering a variety of beautiful bowls (handmade, clay bowls are the best) for as little as 10 dollars each. Funds to go help organizations fight hunger.
- Send a letter home asking families to research Indian food and bring in a recipe to add to a small cookbook, which the group can create, photocopy, and sell. Extend this idea into a potluck social event, where families bring in an Indian dish to share.
- Have a Parcheesi tournament (see Alternate Activity 3), with an admission cost. Winners could be determined from different age ranges. Have Parcheesi games donated for winners to take home.
There are many possibilities for fundraisers and they do not need to be elaborate. Celebrate the amount collected by the group, even if it seems small.
After the fundraiser, invite those who participated to tell the congregation about Margaret Barr and the contemporary children's village, perhaps as a Story for All Ages.