Activity 3: Group Acrostic Poem
Activity time: 8 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write the letters that spell "THANK YOU" vertically down the left-hand side a sheet of newsprint, leaving a few inches between the letters. Set this sheet aside.
- On another sheet of newsprint (or several), write the letters of "THANK YOU," leaving enough space between the letters for the group's brainstorming ideas. Post this newsprint.
Description of Activity
To create an acrostic poem, take a word or phrase as the subject and write the letters of that word or phrase vertically down the left-hand side of a page. Next, use each letter to start a word or phrase that describes your subject. For example:
Laughing and filled with joy
Our hearts overflow
Very much at peace
Endless, eternal Love
Gather participants in a circle. Invite them to make an acrostic poem together focusing on gratitude for the Earth. Show them where you have posted the phrase THANK YOU." Ask if anyone knows what an acrostic poem is; complete the explanation, as necessary.
Have the group brainstorm words and phrases starting with the letters in "thank you" that describe gratitude for the Earth. Use these guidelines:
- To foster creativity, encourage everyone to say every idea they think of, even if it seems silly or weird.
- During the brainstorming part of the activity, nobody should comment on the ideas, either positively or negatively. There will be time later to choose the words everyone likes best.
When the group has created a list of possible words or phrases, post the newsprint you have set aside. Starting with "T," fill in a word or phrase for each letter in "thank you." For each letter, invite the group to offer any new ideas, make changes to brainstormed ideas, and as a group select the word or phrase they like best to describe gratitude for the Earth. Guide the group to articulate why they chose that word/phrase.
Read the final acrostic poem aloud with the group.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.