Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics
- Optional: A recording of the song "Our Sources" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Write the words for the sixth UU Source on newsprint, and post:
Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs come from the harmony of nature and the sacred circle of life.
- Download, adapt, and copy Taking It Home for all participants (or plan to email it to all families after the session).
- Optional: Prepare to teach and lead the song "Our Sources."
- Copy Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics, or write the words on newsprint, and post. Plan to store handouts or newsprint for re-use.
- Learn the song so you can teach it to the group. Listen to the song online to familiarize yourself with it. You might invite a member of the choir or someone in the congregation comfortable leading songs to learn the song with you and help you.
Description of Activity
Gather the children. Say, in your own words:
Today we talked about love coming from the same seed our universe came from. We talked about how love is like the North Star in the night sky-always there to guide us. Next time we meet, we will start learning about the Sources of our Unitarian Universalist faith. Each of the Sources helps us move with love, in the direction of love, just like the constellations can help a traveler find the North Star in the night sky.
If you wish to sing "Our Sources," distribute Handout 3 or indicate the newsprint where you have posted the lyrics. Teach/lead the song, with a musical volunteer if you have invited someone to help. Consider playing the music clip of "Our Sources" for the children to sing along.
Distribute Taking It Home and thank participants.
Save the Night Sky display and the handouts/newsprint to use next time.
Including All Participants
At this age, children have a wide range of reading ability. Do not put individual children on the spot to read aloud.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.