Faith In Action: Volunteer in Service to the Congregation, Session 6: The More We Get Together
In "Love Connects Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Preparation for Activity
- Talk with congregational leaders who are responsible for the area(s) in which you wish participants to volunteer. Find out what the children can do, and when they might do it. Arrange the service opportunity, including additional adult supervision, as needed.
Description of Activity
An opportunity to serve empowers children as participants in a community covenant and demonstrates that every person, whatever their age, can contribute. Children can volunteer in many ways, such as:
- Serving as greeters and ushers at a worship service
- Preparing and serving snacks at coffee hour
- Collecting orders of service and other disposable paper for recycling
- Pulling weeds, watering plants, and tidying grounds
- Cleaning up after a congregational social event
- Assisting adults with the care of younger children during a congregational meeting.
The children will find their service most meaningful if they do a job which really needs to be done.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources