Welcoming and Entering
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Card stock in colors of red, pink, and orange
- Scissors, including left-handed scissors
- Hole punch
- String or yarn
- Heart shaped cookie cutters or card stock to make heart-shaped templates
Preparation for Activity
- Create a sample heart hanging: Cut a heart shape out of card stock, punch a hole in the top, pass a piece of yarn through the hole, and secure the yarn with a knot so the heart can be hung.
- Obtain heart-shaped cookie cutters. Or, create a few templates by drawing hearts on card stock and cutting them out so participants can trace this shape to create ornaments.
- Set out materials on work tables.
Description of Activity
As participants arrive, invite them to use the cookie cutters or templates to trace heart shapes onto card stock. Encourage them to cut out the heart shapes, punch a hole in the top of the heart, and pass a piece of yarn through the hole to create a heart-shaped ornament. Tell the children that later they will hang the ornaments on the group wall hanging they created in Session 1.
Including All Participants
If some participants have difficulty with small motor control and cannot effectively manipulate scissors, encourage them to choose card stock colors for others to cut into heart shapes, or invite them to hold cookie cutters or templates in place for another child to trace.
For more information contact email@example.com.