Alternate Activity 2: Covenant Categories
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Handout 2, Situations
- Glue sticks or rolls of cellophane tape
Preparation for Activity
- Calculate how many two- or three-person teams you will have. Copy Handout 2 for each team. Optional: Make each copy of the handout a different color.
- Write these phrases from the Blake covenant on separate sheets of newsprint:
- LOVE IS THE SPIRIT OF THIS CHURCH
- SERVICE IS ITS LAW
- TO DWELL TOGETHER IN PEACE
- TO SEEK THE TRUTH IN LOVE
- TO HELP ONE ANOTHER
- Post the sheets of newsprint around the meeting space where children can easily reach them.
Description of Activity
Indicate the newsprint sheets you have posted and affirm that each sheet shows a key phrase of the Blake covenant.
Form teams of two or three participants. Give each team a copy of Handout 2, a pair of scissors, and a glue stick or a roll of tape. Invite the teams to cut apart the situations on their handout, read the situations together, and then tape each situation on the sheet of newsprint where it seems to fit best. Tell them they will soon notice that some situations could fit in more than one category, and their team will need to determine where it best belongs.
Give the teams eight to ten minutes to categorize the situations. Then, ask teams to stop working. Invite everyone to look around to see where other teams have placed the same situations. Lead whole-group reflection with questions such as:
- Was it difficult to determine the covenant category some of these situations belonged in? Which situations? Why?
- How did your team decide what to do with situations that could fit in more than one category? How did you decide where these fit best? Did any teams find a way to put a situation on more than one sheet?
- Did your team have any disagreement about where a situation should go? How was the conflict resolved?
- Can you think of other situations that have happened or could happen at our congregation, which belong in one of these covenant categories?
- Can you think of other situations which might fit under more than one category?
Including All Participants
If any participants struggle with reading or have vision limitations, instruct teams to have one member read aloud each statement so all can participate in the decision making process.
If the group includes children with limited mobility, instruct teams to make their decisions about each situation while seated together as a group, and then to delegate one team member to glue or tape the situation to the newsprint.