Faith In Action: Heeding Our Calling to Help Others
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Post blank newsprint.
Description of Activity
Using the newsprint and markers, brainstorm ways we can be called to help others. Then, decide as a group which of the callings to help others interests the group the most (through a majority vote). Or, divide the group into two or three teams which can then select the calling most preferred by their members.
Once you determine the project(s) your group will do, brainstorm a list of steps the project requires. For example, to create a community garden, the group must secure a plot of land as well as seeds and gardening tools.
Assign tasks. Follow up with any participants who offer to bring or make something, or volunteer to do a certain task.
After the project(s) is/are completed, be sure to re-gather the group for reflection. Use questions such as:
- Did this project fall under one of your callings to help others?
- How much did you involve yourself personally in this project?
- Did your personal involvement having anything to do with your calling to help others? Why or why not?
- What might have made your participation in this project more consuming for you?
Including All Participants
Some participants are reluctant to speak in a group; some may be daunted by a request to write their ideas on paper. Form teams thoughtfully, to create small groups whose members bring diverse personalities and abilities.
For more information contact email@example.com.