Alternate Activity 2: Seeking Truth in Song
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Recordings of songs about seeking truth, and music player(s)
- Copies of song lyrics
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain recordings of songs with messages about seeking truth, such as:
- "Seeking," performed by Daniel Franklin
- "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," U2
- "Losing My Religion," R.E.M.
- "God Shuffled His Feet," Crash Test Dummies
- "Counting Blue Cars," Dishwalla
- "What if God Was One of Us?" Joan Osborne
- "The Truth," India Arie
- "The Truth," Prince
- Locate the lyrics for the songs you will use (Internet). Make copies for participants.
Description of Activity
Hand out the lyrics and play a song you have selected. Encourage participants to listen to the song silently. Then, invite the group to share their thoughts and reflections. Consider:
- What message does this song have for us about "seeking truth in love"?
- Is the message in this song realistic? Why or why not?
- Is this message meaningful to you personally? How? Or, why not?
Repeat the process for as many songs as you have time to hear and process.
Including All Participants
Having the song lyrics to read will help hearing impaired participants engage fully in the activity.
For more information contact email@example.com.