Faith In Action: Banner of Congregational Covenant (35 minutes), Session 1: A Covenant is a Promise
In "Love Connects Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- A large roll of blank paper, and markers and tape; or, alternatively, a few yards of plain fabric, and fabric paint or permanent markers
- Newspaper to protect floor or work tables
- A copy of your congregation's covenant
Preparation for Activity
- Print out your congregation's covenant on newsprint, and post. If the covenant is very long, you may wish to rephrase each item to state its essence succinctly.
- If you are using permanent markers or paint, spread newspaper to protect the working surface.
- Tape down a suitable length of roll paper (or fabric) so it will stay in place while children work with it.
- Work with your religious educator, building and grounds committee, or others to determine a public location where your finished banner can hang.
Description of Activity
Many congregations have their own covenant statement. It may be one created by the congregation or a version of a traditional statement such as the Blake covenant. This activity gives participants the chance to engage with their own congregation's covenant, and results in a display that will encourage members of all ages to pay attention to the purpose and commitments shared by the faith community.
Explain to the group that you will create a large banner to display your congregation's covenant. Display the congregational covenant on newsprint and (if it is not too long) read it aloud. Determine who will write what part on the banner. Encourage participants to sketch out in pencil what they will write, and to try to fill the space evenly. While some children write the words on the banner, others can decorate with pictures or symbols to represent the words of the covenant.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources