Activity time: 7 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Faithful Journeys Path
- Signpost for Session 5 (Leader Resource 2), and pins, glue stick or tape
- Copies of Session 1, Leader Resource 8, UU Principles Song, for all participants
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 2 and cut out the signpost.
- Optional: Write the UU Principles Song lyrics on newsprint, and post.
- Customize, print out and photocopy the Taking It Home section for all participants.
Description of Activity
This activity helps children get used to practicing a closing ritual as a way of affirming their belonging in the faith community.
Gather the group in a circle. Thank the children for participating and sharing their stories and ideas in this session. Tell them something you liked about the way they worked together as a community.
Point out the Faithful Journeys Path. Say, in your own words:
Our Faithful Journeys Path shows our journey to live our lives and act in ways that reflect our Unitarian Universalist beliefs and faith. The signposts direct us by reminding us about our Principles.
Today's signpost is "Find Balance." It stands for our second Unitarian Universalist Principle, justice, equity, and compassion in human relations. We believe we can make the world more fair. One way is to help people who have everything they need find ways to share with others.
Attach the signpost to the Faithful Journeys Path.
Remind the children that the next time they meet they will have a chance to add Faithful Footprints to the Faithful Journeys Path. Encourage them to try, before your next meeting, to identify something they have enough of and take action to share with others in greater need. For example:
- Choose some clothes, toys, or books you do not need. Ask an adult to help you pack them up to donate to another child.
- Before you ask a parent to buy you something in a store, think about whether you really need it. If you do not really need it, do not ask for it. Tell your parent that, although you would like it, you realize you do not really need it.
Point out the words to the UU Principles Song. Tell the children it is sung to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm." Lead the children in singing the verse about the second Principle. Then, sing the entire song together. Explain that you will learn about all of the Principles during your time together in Faithful Journeys.
Distribute the Taking It Home handout. Thank the children, tell them you look forward to seeing them next time, and dismiss the group.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.