Spiritual Preparation, Session 4: Be Fair
In "Faithful Journeys," a Tapestry of Faith program
If it would be helpful in creating sacred space, light a candle or chalice. Read the story "Belonging" about Unitarian Fannie Barrier Williams. Recall any times when you have been part of a group that has worked together for positive change in a local institution, in your wider community, or at a global level.
Reflect on these questions:
- What spiritual growth did you experience as a result of being part of a group?
- What links do you observe among your sense of belonging in the group, your beliefs as a Unitarian Universalist, and any action for change you were able to accomplish in the group?
- In what ways did the group exclude anyone? How aware of this were you? How did it feel?
Recall, as well, times when you were excluded from such a group.
- When you have been excluded, how did you handle the experience? Did you feel powerful, powerless, or something in between?
- How can you ensure that all children feel they belong in Faithful Journeys and in the Action Club you will form today?
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources