Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Posters of the Unitarian Universalist Principles in both adult and children's language, or copies of Session 1, Handout 1 for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Decide whether you will use the provided opening words or other opening words, such as those offered in Session 1, Leader Resource 1, Alternate Openings. It is recommended that you use the same opening words for each session.
- Print the opening words on newsprint. Post the newsprint where the children will be able to see it when they gather.
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle. Light the chalice. Point out the chalice-lighting words on the newsprint and invite the group to read together:
We light this flame for the light of truth, the warmth of love, and the energy of action.
Indicate the poster(s) of the Unitarian Universalist Principles. Or, give each child a copy of the handout. Ask a volunteer to read the first Principle in the adult language. Ask a second volunteer to read the children's version of the first Principle. Then, say:
Today we will learn about this Unitarian Universalist Principle - what it means, and what kinds of actions show it. Let's get started.
Collect handouts for reuse.
Including All Participants
If not all participants are fluent readers, take the time to teach the group to say the opening words from memory.
If the group has children who are sensitive to perfumes or other chemicals, use unscented candles or an electric or battery-operated flame. An electric flame is also recommended if you may not use open flames or if any participants are afraid of fire.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.