Opening (5 minutes), Session 16: Get Moving
In "Faithful Journeys," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Posters of the Unitarian Universalist Principles in both adult and children's language, or copies of Session 1, Handout 1 for all participants
- Copies of Session 1, Leader Resource 8, UU Principles Song, for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Print the opening words on newsprint. Post the newsprint where the children will be able to see it when they gather.
- Optional: Write the UU Principles Song lyrics on newsprint, and post.
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle. Light the chalice. Point out the chalice-lighting words on the newsprint and invite the group to read together:
We light this flame for the light of truth, the warmth of love, and the energy of action.
Indicate the poster(s) or handouts of the Unitarian Universalist Principles.
Today we celebrate our final session of Faithful Journeys. We have learned a lot about how we, like other Unitarians and Universalists through history, can put our Principles into action every day. Let's go through our Principles one more time by singing the song we have sung during our closing time.
Indicate the newsprint or handouts with the words to the UU Principles Song. Lead the group in singing the entire song to the tune of "Old McDonald Had a Farm."
Including All Participants
If the group has children who are sensitive to perfumes or other chemicals, use unscented candles or an electric or battery-operated flame. An electric flame is also recommended if you may not use open flames or if any participants are afraid of fire.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources