You Are Here
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Basket of name stones
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write the chalice-lighting words on newsprint, and post.
- Memorize the chalice-lighting words so you can make eye contact with participants while you say them.
- Spread the labyrinth on the floor with the chalice in the center.
- Place the basket of stones on top of the labyrinth.
Description of Activity
As children enter, invite them to retrieve their name stones from the basket and join you at the labyrinth.
Be aware of guests or newcomers. Always have extra stones so you can offer the new people a chance to be part of the ritual.
When all are seated, light the chalice and recite these opening words. Invite everyone to recite with you:
We are Unitarian Universalists,
with minds that think,
hearts that love,
and hands that are ready to serve.
In these words or your own, say:
This labyrinth reminds us that we are taking a journey together. Every session is yet another portion of that journey. Each time we meet, everyone will be asked to place his or her stone within the labyrinth. Each stone is a symbol of us as fellow members of this Creating Home community.
When it is your turn to place your name stone on the labyrinth, please say your name and share any joys or concerns you have had since we last met. Joys are the things that make you feel happy and concerns are worries. Sharing our joys and concerns with each other is a tradition in our faith community.
Allow children, one at a time, to step onto the labyrinth, speak their joys and concerns, place their stones, and return to the circle. Close the joys and concerns by affirming that it is very good to be together. Extinguish the chalice.