Activity 2: Story - Thoreau And The Cottage
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of story, "Thoreau and the Cottage"
- Drawing paper, 11x17" or larger
- Drawing, coloring, and arts and crafts materials such as pencils, pastels, crayons, colored paper, stickers, and glue sticks
- Optional: Small natural objects, such as leaves, suitable for gluing on paper
Preparation for Activity
- Review, download, and print out story, "Thoreau and the Cottage." Distribute the paper and drawing, coloring, and arts and crafts materials where participants will sit after hearing the story. Large, open containers of pencils or crayons are easier than boxes for children to share and to clean up.
Description of Activity
Invite the children to sit so that they will be comfortable listening to a story. Introduce the story by asking the group:
- How would it feel to live all by yourself in a house in the woods?
- What would you need in your house?
Allow some responses.
Read the story aloud or tell it in your own words.
After you finish the story, invite participants to sit at worktables, find a piece of large, white paper, and draw, color, and decorate the way they imagine Henry David Thoreau's cottage in the woods from the story.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.