Activity 1: Story - Lizard's Song
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copy of story, "Lizard's Song"
Preparation for Activity
- Read and print out story, "Lizard's Song." Prepare to tell the story.
Description of Activity
Gather participants where they can sit comfortably and hear a story. Say:
Wild animals build their own homes that are right for them. The story we are about to share is a Native American legend. It explains why each kind of animal must have its own kind of home.
Read aloud or tell in your own words the story, "Lizard's Song."
After the story, ask participants:
- Why did the bear like lizard's song so much?
- Why do you think the bear could not live on the rock?
- Why couldn't the lizard live in a den?
Then invite children to name their favorite wild animal and describe and/or name the animal's home. You may ask why they think the animals they name live in the kinds of homes they do.
Tell the story again, this time leading the children in singing the song with some of the new animal names and homes substituted for "lizard/rock" and "bear/den."
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.