You Are Here
Alternate Activity 1: Story - Aesop's Fable Of The Worker Bee, The Drone, And The Wasp
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of story, "Aesop's Fable of the Worker Bee, the Drone, and the Wasp"
Preparation for Activity
- Review the story so you can tell it to the group comfortably.
Description of Activity
This story provides some detail about bees' roles in the hive and reinforces the idea of specific roles within a community (or family). Read or tell the story to the group. At the conclusion, you may ask:
- Which bees were the ones that built the hive in the story?
- Do you think the worker bees and the drones all lived together in the same hive? Were they similar to human brothers and sisters, or other members of a human family like ours? In what way?
- How did the wasp know that the worker bees were the real builders?