Alternate Activity 4: Word Wall Memory Page
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Paper, and crayons or color markers to share
- Index cards or post-its from the Word Wall
- Optional: Stapler
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Remove the index cards or post-its you have added to the Word Wall during the Creating Home sessions.
- Optional: Post blank newsprint to write words for children to copy.
- Optional: You may like to begin this activity while children make their cinnamon dough ornaments (Activity 5).
Description of Activity
If you have used a Word Wall during Creating Home, children can review together the words they have learned. Illustrating a word can deepen a child’s understanding of its meaning.
Use the index cards or post-its from the Word Wall as flashcards to refresh the group's memory of the words.
Distribute paper and crayons or color markers. Ask each child to choose one word to illustrate. Invite them to use fancy letters, particular colors or any pictures that show what the word means and what it means to them. Help each child copy the word they have chosen from an index card or post-it. Or, use newsprint to write some of the words for children to copy.
If children finish a word drawing, invite them to make another.
If a child makes multiple pages, staple them together to make a booklet. Help them write on the cover page: Creating Home Word Wall Memory Book. Or, you may wish to compile a booklet of the group’s words to display in your congregation.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.