You Are Here
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Basket of name stones
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write the chalice-lighting words on newsprint, and post.
- Memorize the chalice-lighting words so you can make eye contact with participants while you say them.
- Spread the labyrinth on the floor with the chalice in the center.
- On top of the labyrinth, place the basket of stones.
Description of Activity
As children enter, invite them to retrieve their name stones from the basket and join you at the labyrinth. The labyrinth should be spread on the floor with the chalice in the center and matches or a lighter at hand. Be aware of newcomers or guests in the room. Always have extra stones so you can offer the new people a chance to be part of the ritual.
When all are seated, light the chalice and recite these opening words. Invite everyone to say with you:
We are Unitarian Universalists,
with minds that think,
hearts that love,
and hands that are ready to serve.
Invite children to place their stones on the labyrinth, one at a time. Tell them they may share any joys or concerns they would like to when it is their turn to place their stone. You may say:
This labyrinth reminds us that we are taking a journey together. Every session is another portion of that journey. This is the final stopping place on our journey. We will talk more later about how it feels to end a journey. Today each person will place their stone within the labyrinth. Each stone is a symbol of us as fellow members of this classroom home. While placing your stones, please say your name and share one thing you learned in our time together. Sharing together is a tradition in our faith community.
Affirm that it is very good to be together. Extinguish the chalice.