Activity 4: Stick Puppets
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Handout 1, Lost Son Stick Puppets
- Crayons or markers
- Tongue depressors or straws, at least three for all participants
- Tape, glue sticks, or a stapler
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1, Lost Son Stick Puppets, on card stock for all participants.
- Decide whether to provide glue, tape, or staples for children making their puppets. Staples hold the best but sometimes come out and can be difficult for young children to use safely.
Description of Activity
Children will learn more about the layers of the Lost Son story through acting out the story with stick puppets. Help the children to begin coloring the three puppets and cutting around each puppet outline. Younger children may need help with cutting while older children may be able to cut independently.
Once the puppets are colored and cut out, help children attach each puppet to a tongue depressor or a straw with tape, glue, or staples. Allow time for children to re enact the story of the Lost Son with their puppets.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.