Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Basket of name stones
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write the chalice-lighting words on newsprint, and post.
- Memorize the chalice-lighting words so you can make eye contact with participants while you say them.
- Spread the labyrinth on the floor with the chalice in the center.
- On top of the labyrinth, place the basket of stones.
Description of Activity
As children enter, invite them to retrieve their name stones from the basket and join you at the labyrinth. The labyrinth should be spread upon the floor with the chalice in the center and matches or a lighter at hand. Be aware of newcomers or guests in the room. Always have extra stones so you can offer the new people a chance to be part of the ritual.
When all are seated, light the chalice and recite these opening words. Invite everyone to say with you:
We are Unitarian Universalists,
with minds that think,
hearts that love,
and hands that are ready to serve.
Tell the children that one at a time, they may place their stones on the labyrinth. You may say:
Here we are on our journey together celebrating both our family home and our faith home. Today, while placing your stone upon the labyrinth, please say your name and any joys or concerns you want to share. Because we will be talking about thankfulness today, you might want to also tell us about something that makes you thankful.
When all the children are done, name something that makes you thankful. Extinguish the chalice.