You Are Here
Activity 2: Story - The Magic Vase
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copy of story, "The Magic Vase"
Preparation for Activity
- Read and print out story, "The Magic Vase." Prepare to tell it without reading directly from the script.
Description of Activity
This wisdom tale, adapted from a story in the book One Hundred Wisdom Tales from Around the World by Margaret Silf (Pilgrim Press) shows how something from the outside world can help change happen within a family home. The eldest son has to cross the threshold and go outside the home in order to make changes within his home.
Settle children in a circle. Invite them to close their eyes while they listen to the story, "The Magic Vase."
Tell the story.
Pause at the conclusion. Then, invite discussion with these or other questions:
- Is the vase really magic?
- Why is the story called "The Magic Vase?"
- Did the vase make something happen? Or did people in the story make something happen?
- Who made something happen? How?
- Why do you think the oldest child went across the threshold, outside his home, for what he needed to get? Was something missing from his home that should have been there? What was it?