Taking It Home, Session 7: The Second U
In "Amazing Grace," a Tapestry of Faith program
Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.
IN TODAY’S SESSION…We heard the story of Augusta Jane Chapin and her frontier ministry. We talked about the ideas of universal salvation and of being saved. We wondered which animals we would have saved if we had had a choice at the time of Noah’s flood. For Faith in Action, we talked about what we could do to help save animals today.
EXPLORE THE TOPIC TOGETHER. Talk about…
- Belief in God. Do you or other members of your family believe in God? If so, is this God a stern God, who punishes people for sinning, or a kind God, who forgives people for sinning? Or is it a God who is not concerned with individual human lives?
- Has anybody in your family felt called to do a certain job or anything else?
EXTEND THE TOPIC TOGETHER. Try…
- Thinking what your family can do to support the idea of universal rights. That means equal rights for everybody on earth. What can you do? Can you contribute to the United Nations or to other groups that help people secure human rights?
- Finding out about the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Does the United States support that effort to help children? Should it? What can you do to help?
- Visiting a local animal shelter. Find out about volunteering there.
MYSTERY AND ME
Take some personal quiet time and think about your own calling in life. Do you feel called to do something special with your own life? If not, do you hope that someday you will wake up in the morning and all of sudden know what you want to do later in life? If you are journaling, write down some of your ideas about being called. Save your writing so you can return to it later and see whether your ideas have changed.
A FAMILY RITUAL
Talk each day about the right and wrong you have experienced. Did you each do something good you want to share? Is there somebody in the family you want to thank for a virtuous act? Is there something you wish you hadn’t done that you need to talk about? How can you make tomorrow a better day?
A FAMILY GAME
Make up funny punishments for small sins. What should happen to somebody who pops gum in your ear all the time? Should they have to listen to and smell popcorn popping for twenty-four hours without being able to eat any?
Find out about the callings of your friends and relatives. Have any of them felt called to be ministers or to do something special? Do they ever talk about feeling called? They might use different words to describe their feeling that they are meant to carry out a specific purpose in the world.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources