Activity 4: Ethics Play
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Two dice (extra large, if possible) of different colors
- Ethics Play role nametags
- Ethics Play Scenarios (Session 1, Leader Resources 2-7)
- Optional: Masks, costumes, and wigs for roles
Preparation for Activity
- If you are or your group is new to Ethics Play, refer to the directions in Activity 4 of Session 1, Introducing Amazing Grace: Exploring Right and Wrong.
Description of Activity
Participants play a game replicating real-life situations involving ethical decisions.
Ask at the end of the game whether the suggestions and decisions that participants made were good or bad. If gods and goddesses, parents, or Santa Claus were judging the youth, how would they come out? If religious judges had to point the participants toward heaven or hell, what would they say? You might mention that some religions distinguish major and minor sins. Those religions that teach that heaven and hell do exist often say that your fate depends on all you have done in life, not just a few actions. Remind participants that "good" and "bad" can be relative terms; what's right for one situation might be wrong for another.
Including All Participants
If some participants have limited mobility, you might wish to have the group remain seated, or at least give individuals a choice between standing and sitting when they speak.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.