Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Conundrum Corner poster/banner
- A gift-wrapped box with a top that can be lifted off and a tag that says "DO NOT OPEN"
- Chalice and matches
- Recording of "Amazing Grace" and music player
- Optional: Newsprint, markers and tape
- Optional: Nametags and markers
- Optional: Decorative cloth for Conundrum Corner
Preparation for Activity
- Place the gift-wrapped box on display in the Conundrum Corner.
- Have your recording of "Amazing Grace" ready to play.
- Write chalice-lighting words on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: Prepare and post an agenda of the day's activities.
Description of Activity
Lead the group in the day's opening rituals: a chalice lighting, a moment of focusing silence, and a moment of sharing.
Play "Amazing Grace" while participants gather. Use any version you like-bagpipe, voice, or another. As participants enter, greet them. If you have newcomers, greet them warmly and be sure they know others in the room. Give them nametags if others have them. Ask participants to look at the Conundrum Corner, but do not say anything more about it. In answer to any questions about it say you will be talking about it later. Discourage attempts to open the box and peek.
Stop the music, or reduce the volume to a very low background level.
Light the chalice, or let a youth do so, and speak these words (asking the group to join you if you have posted them):
May the light of this chalice help us to see through eyes that are curious-but not too curious.
Ask the group to be silent for a moment as they reflect on the opening words and settle in for the session. End the silence by saying "blessed be," or other appropriate words.
Ask the youth to go around the room and state in a word or two how they are doing. If everybody in the room does not already know everybody else, have them say their names as well.
Say that the title of this session is "Curious Faith."
Extinguish the chalice without ceremony and move the chalice table aside as necessary to allow movement in the room.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.