If I do not have love, I am nothing.
— adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:2
Does it really matter whether we do right or wrong? This session explores the question of how much impact an individual can have. The session begins with a round of Ethics Play and asks youth how much difference their decisions might make to the world. The session includes a story showing the impact of a single snowflake when it is added to the total of millions or billions more. An art activity expressing universal love suggests that even individual attitudes can have great power. A round-robin story about the consequences of a sneeze introduces and illustrates the "butterfly effect," the idea that even a butterfly's flapping wings can have great consequences. Faith in Action asks youth to think of and perform spontaneous acts of love.
This session will:
- Explore the power of the individual
- Consider the nature of universal love
- Plan and practice random acts of kindness.
- Consider the wide impact of their own ethical decisions
- Understand the power of accumulative action
- Express and encourage universal love
- Explore the butterfly effect.