Alternate Activity 5: Story and Discussion - Cast the First Stone
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story 3, "Cast the First Stone"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story.
- Photocopy Story 3, "Cast the First Stone," one for each participant.
Description of Activity
Share the Christian scripture story of Jesus inviting people without sin to "cast the first stone."
As an introduction, or in discussion following the story, make the point that it is often easier for people to forgive others if they first admit that they, too, have done wrong things; that they, too, have made mistakes. Consider also reminding the group of the opening quotation: "To err is human, to forgive divine." In the story, Jesus assumes that nobody is perfect, that everybody in the group is a sinner. He, too, believed that "to err is human."
Tell or read the story. Alternately, you might ask for one or more volunteers to read it. After hearing the story, ask the group the following questions:
- Why do you think Jesus was looking at the ground during this incident? (One possible answer: so people could admit their sins without fearing his condemnation.)
- Why did the oldest people leave first? (Possible answers: they were the wisest; or, having lived longer, they had experienced more sin.)
- The woman could have run away when only Jesus was left. Why do you think she stayed? (One possible answer: she was repentant of her sin and willing to receive punishment.)
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.