Activity 3: Lucky Money
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Story, "Sam and the Lucky Money"
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story so you will be able to present it. Make copies for all participants.
- Recruit volunteer readers and provide them with the story text. It is a playful story, so invite them to add a bit of dramatic flair to the telling.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- What "sweet treats, shiny baubles and golden dragons" are you attracted to?
- Has there been a time when you gave money to a cause instead of spending it on yourself? How did it feel?
- Do you feel you have choices when it comes to spending money?
Description of Activity
Distribute copies of the story "Sam and the Lucky Money." Have volunteers read the story aloud. Allow a moment for the group to reflect, and then invite participants to move into pairs and respond to the questions posted on newsprint. Give pairs 10 minutes.
Use the chime to keep track of time. At the five minute mark, indicate that the second person in the group should be speaking. Sound the chime again two minutes before the end of the allotted time. Re-gather the group and ask each pair to share one "aha" from their discussion. Limit the group reporting time to about five minutes.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.