Alternate Activity 1: Shareholder Advocacy
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to present. Optional: Copy the story for all participants.
Description of Activity
Read the story aloud. Then lead a discussion using these questions:
- What religious and ethical values are being lifted up by the shareholder advocacy in this case? How might this be called "faithful investing?"
- This story says, "The UUA purchases funds in some companies that otherwise would not pass its screens so that it can participate in shareholder activism." What are the advantages and disadvantages of such an approach?
- Are there ethical or spiritual issues with investing in companies whose social impact is one that you consider negative in order to engage in shareholder advocacy?
- How is the "double bottom line" a factor in the case described in this story?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.