Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED/battery-operated candle
- A chime or a small bell
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Taking It Home handout
- Chocolate coin candy (or any candy with a gold wrapper)
- Optional: Refreshments
Preparation for Activity
- Customize Taking It Home and copy for all participants.
- Obtain chocolate coin candy-or another kind of gold-wrapped candy-enough for each participant to give and receive several pieces. Distribute the candy around the chalice on the centering table.
Description of Activity
Distribute Taking It Home. Form a circle and join hands. Lead the group to sing a reprise of Hymn 402 in Singing the Living Tradition, "From You I Receive."
Invite participants as they are moved to select a candy and offer it to another participant while saying the words, "You are a gift for which I am grateful." After every person has had an opportunity to give and to receive, say:
Unitarian Universalism is a gift for which we are grateful. May our generosity today be the fuel that ensures a bright flame of faith for generations to come.
Extinguish the chalice.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.