Faith In Action: Share the Plate
Activity time: 0 minutes
Preparation for Activity
- Read about Share the Plate programs in a 2003 UU World article.
Description of Activity
Work with appropriate leaders and committees in your congregation to start a Share the Plate practice, in which the Sunday worship offering is regularly given to organizations or local community partners whose goals and values your congregation wishes to support. A Share the Plate practice provides rich opportunities for collaboration between the ministry/worship team and the social justice team in your congregation. Offer information about Share the Plate from the UU World article and suggestions such as these:
- Introduce Share the Plate with sermons and newsletter articles.
- Promote it as part of the congregation's social justice program, as a way to help the larger community.
- Select recipients that are not controversial or political.
- Provide information about the recipient agencies. Have representatives of those organizations speak to the congregation or host information tables after the service.
- Provide opportunities for people to volunteer time with the same agencies.
- At the end of the year, recap all the good causes the money has supported.
- If you think there will be resistance, start small, with a percentage of the plate.
For more information contact email@example.com.