Activity 1: Our Giving Stories
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Giving Stories
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Small chime or bell
Preparation for Activity
- Copy of Handout 1 for all participants.
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- What were your reasons for giving? Can you find those reasons represented in one or more of the clouds in Handout 1?
- How did it feel to make this donation?
- How did your reason for giving connect to your feeling about the gift?
- Stepping back from the experience, can you discern the intersection of emotion and values that made it a memorable gift?
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 1, Giving Stories. Invite participants to recall the circumstances of a time (or times) when they made a memorable gift or donation to their faith community (or to an organization or cause about which they are passionate). Ask them to consider whether one or more of the phrases in Handout 1 aptly describe their donation or whether they would use another phrase. Ask participants to share one or two giving stories in pairs, using the posted questions if they are helpful in telling a story. Explain that each partner will have about five minutes to share. Ring the bell or chime after five minutes to signal that it is time to change speakers. After 10 minutes, re-gather the large group and invite participants to share insights and observations. Are there phrases participants would like to add to Handout 1?
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.