Activity 3: To Live until We Die - Norbert Capek
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 4, Norbert Capek
- Leader Resource 5: Norbert Capek, Photograph
- Handout 2, Capek Prayer
- Plain paper and markers, pens, color pencils, and crayons
- Timepiece (minutes)
- Bell or chime
- Optional: Computer with Internet access and digital projector
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 4, Norbert Capek and familiarize yourself with the material.
- Print out Leader Resource 5, Norbert Capek, Photograph.
- Copy Handout 2, Capek Prayer for all participants.
- Optional: If you will not have Internet access, download the photograph of Norbert Capek (Leader Resource 5) and prepare it as a digital slide. Test the computer and projector.
Description of Activity
Pass around the photograph of Capek or project the image. Read aloud the first paragraph of the Leader Resource 4, Norbert Capek. Invite participants to contribute anything they know about Capek. Use the notes in Leader Resource 4, Norbert Capek to provide more information.
Distribute Handout 2, Capek's Prayer. Lead participants to read the prayer slowly, in unison. Then, explain that Capek wrote it shortly before his death in a concentration camp. Invite reactions; ask "What can you understand about Capek's faith from this single prayer?"
Suggest participants respond to the prayer by imagining themselves to be a companion to Capek at that moment in his life. Invite them to use the materials you have provided to fill the white space on their handouts with words, images, or symbols of response.
Allow the group to work for about ten minutes in silence. Then ring a chime, and ask them to finish what they are writing or drawing.