Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, for all participants
- Optional: Decorative cloth
- Optional: Keyboard or piano
Preparation for Activity
- Set up a worship or centering table with the chalice and (optional) decorative cloth.
- Prepare to lead the hymn using the tune you have chosen.
- Distribute copies of the hymnbook.
- Optional: Arrange for musical accompaniment or a song leader.
Description of Activity
Light the chalice and invite participants to sing Hymn 382 "De todos bajo el gran sol" in Singing the Living Tradition using whichever of the suggested tunes (371, 372, or 373) is familiar. If some participants are unfamiliar with Spanish, invite a Spanish speaker to read each line and invite participants to repeat it. If no Spanish speakers are present, use the following pronunciation guide. When you have read each line for pronunciation, lead the group to sing the hymn together. A rough English translation of the words can be found in Hymn 381.
After the hymn, invite participants to share any thoughts or feelings they have about singing together in Spanish.
De todos bajo el gran sol / Day TOE-dose BAH-hoe el grahn sole
Surja esperanza, fe, amor / SOOR-hah es-per-AHN-sa, fay, ah-MORE
Verdad, y belleza cantando / Ver-DAHD, ee bay-YAY-sa cahn-TAHN-doe
De cada tierra, cada voz. / Day CAH-dah tee-AY-rah, CAH-dah vose.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.