Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Optional: Decorative cloth
Preparation for Activity
- Set up a worship or centering table with the chalice and (optional) decorative cloth.
- Optional: Visit the International Council of Unitarian Universalists (ICUU) website and print out the chalice lighting words in their original Hungarian, as well as the English, French, and German translations of the chalice lighting.
- Optional: Invite a participant in advance to act as chalice lighter or reader to make the workshop more participatory. If any participants are able to read the chalice lighting in one of the languages other than English, invite them to do so. Give volunteers a copy of the reading before the workshop.
Description of Activity
Light the chalice with these words by Transylvanian Unitarian Bishop Janos Erdo (1913-1996), published by the International Council of Unitarian Universalists (ICUU) in July 2007. These words are an English translation from the original Hungarian:
Every time we light a candle, we remember the past. Whoever forgets the past must live through it again. But those who remember the past find in it directions for the present and the future, and can revive tradition in all its richness. It is the duty of each generation to study history, so that in the light of the past it may see clearly what is its own special task. It is our duty too, on this special occasion.
Including All Participants
Remind volunteer readers to speak slowly and clearly so all can hear.
For more information contact email@example.com.