Faith In Action: Sharing Camp Experiences
Description of Activity
Invite some children, youth, or adults who have attended a Unitarian Universalist camp or conference to come and share their experiences and impressions with the group. Explore these questions:
- Did the experience change you in any way? How?
- Did the conference create a temporary community? How?
- Were interactions between people different from what is typical at school, work, team sports, or in other areas of your life?
- Did you learn anything about social justice through the conference? What? How?
- How did you, or might you, use the experience, after it ended, in social justice work you have done, or might do?
Alternatively, attend a Unitarian Universalist youth conference or camp as an adult advisor or chaperone. Keep a journal of your experiences and meaningful conversations you have. Reflect: Do you think the experience is, or will be, transformative for you? Was it transformative for the youth? Did you learn anything about social justice? Did the conference create a temporary autonomous zone? If so, what rules of the dominant culture were suspended? How did the suspension of norms shape the atmosphere of the conference? Its effect on you?