Faith In Action: Sharing Camp Experiences
Description of Activity
Invite some children, youth, or adults who have attended a Unitarian Universalist camp or conference to come and share their experiences and impressions with the group. Explore these questions:
- Did the experience change you in any way? How?
- Did the conference create a temporary community? How?
- Were interactions between people different from what is typical at school, work, team sports, or in other areas of your life?
- Did you learn anything about social justice through the conference? What? How?
- How did you, or might you, use the experience, after it ended, in social justice work you have done, or might do?
Alternatively, attend a Unitarian Universalist youth conference or camp as an adult advisor or chaperone. Keep a journal of your experiences and meaningful conversations you have. Reflect: Do you think the experience is, or will be, transformative for you? Was it transformative for the youth? Did you learn anything about social justice? Did the conference create a temporary autonomous zone? If so, what rules of the dominant culture were suspended? How did the suspension of norms shape the atmosphere of the conference? Its effect on you?
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.