Alternate Activity 1: Your Utopian Community
Activity time: 25 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Drawing paper, at least 12x18 inches, for all participants
- Pens, pencils, crayons, and markers
- Timepiece (minutes)
- A bell or chime
Preparation for Activity
- Assure there is ample table space for each person to draw.
Description of Activity
Participants imagine what their own utopian community might look like.
Distribute paper and set out writing and drawing implements to share. Invite participants to take 15 minutes to write or draw a description of a utopian community they envision.
After 15 minutes, ask participants to move into pairs and have each partner take five minutes to describe the community they have imagined.
Sound the bell or chime after five minutes and invite the second partner to take their turn. Sound it again after another five minutes.
Re-gather the large group and lead a discussion:
- Did partners notice their imagined communities shared any features, values, or themes?
- What common ideas emerged across the group as a whole?
- What do you imagine would be required for a group of people with shared values to agree on the features and rules of a utopian community?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.