You Are Here
Activity 2: Understanding Pacifism
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 2, Pacifism
Preparation for Activity
- Read Handout 2 and discuss with your co-facilitator any questions you might have about pacifism.
- Copy the handout for all participants.
- Optional: Prearrange for a volunteer to read the handout aloud.
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 2, Pacifism and either for ask a volunteer to read the handout aloud or invite participants to read the handout silently. Once everyone has finished reading, engage participants in discussion, using these questions:
- What do you find compelling about pacifist theory and approach?
- Do you have questions or concerns about this approach?
- Do you think that pacifism can be a conditional stance (i.e. is it something that works in some situations but not others)?
- Should Unitarian Universalist congregations advocate pacifism as a response to war?