Activity 1: Defining Just War
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Just War Theory
- Participant journals
- Pens, pencils, and extra paper
Preparation for Activity
- Read Handout 1 and discuss with your co-facilitator any questions you have about just war theory.
- Copy the handout for participants.
- Optional: Prearrange for a volunteer to read the handout aloud.
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 1, Just War Theory. Either invite a volunteer to read the handout aloud or ask the group to read it silently. Then, invite participants to take a few minutes to consider what circumstances, if any, justify going to war. Invite them to list those circumstances in their journals or write about why they do not believe that war is ever justified. Allow participants five minutes to write. Then invite comment and conversation.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.