You Are Here
Activity 3: The Parallel Approach
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "Margaret Fuller"
- Leader Resource 2, Margaret Fuller, Portrait
- Optional: Computer and digital projector
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to read or tell it to the group. Make copies for participants.
- Prepare to project Leader Resource 2, or print a copy.
- Optional: Read background information about the life of Margaret Fuller. Refer to the Find Out More section of this workshop for resources.
Description of Activity
Introduce Margaret Fuller as an example of someone who offered a parallel voice and approach to social justice. Distribute the story, "Margaret Fuller," and project or pass around her portrait. Read or tell the story to the group. Engage participants in discussion, using these questions as a guide:
- How does this story about Fuller exemplify the parallel approach? What other strategies or approaches did Fuller employ in addition to the parallel approach?
- Do you think Fuller's status as a woman affected her choice to use this type of strategy to accomplish some of her goals?
- Are there situations where your congregation has used the parallel approach? When you have used the parallel approach?