You Are Here
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Worship or centering table
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Time piece (minutes)
- Chime or bell
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the UUA hymnbook, for all participants
- Optional: Cloth for worship/centering table
- Optional: Microphone
- Optional: Keyboard or piano
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange the worship or centering table, including the chalice, so all participants can see it when they are seated.
- Choose a social justice hymn from Singing the Living Tradition that is familiar to participants. Possibilities include Hymn 119, "Once to Every Soul and Nation;" Hymn 121, "We'll Build a Land;" Hymn 140, "Hail the Glorious Golden City;" Hymn 146, "Soon the Day Will Arrive;" Hymn 157, "Step By Step;" Hymn 162, "Gonna Lay Down My Sword and Shield;" Hymn 168, "One More Step;" and Hymn 170," We are a Gentle, Angry People."
- Optional: Invite a musician to teach and/or accompany the hymn.
Description of Activity
Invite a participant to light the chalice while you lead a unison reading of Reading 449 from Singing the Living Tradition: "We hallow this time together by kindling the lamp of our heritage."
Lead the group in singing the hymn you have chosen.
Ask participants to think of a person or organization that inspires them in their own concept of social justice. Invite them to go around the circle, sharing their own names and the name of the person or organization that inspires them. Have them share just the name, to keep the workshop moving.