Closing (10 minutes), Workshop 12: Responding to Calls for Black Empowerment
In "Resistance and Transformation," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Worship or centering table and chalice
- Participant journals
- Writing materials, including paper, pens, pencils, color pencils, and markers
- Taking It Home handout
Preparation for Activity
- Customize the Taking It Home section of this workshop and copy for participants.
Description of Activity
Make sure each participant has their journal and something to write with.
Then, invite everyone to respond to these questions:
- How do you think conscious and unconscious racism affect your life and the life of your congregation?
- What you can do about this?
Allow eight minutes for writing in journals.
Invite a participant to come forward and extinguish the chalice as you say these words: "As we extinguish this chalice, may we let the light of our tradition kindle our hope for a better world."
Distribute Taking It Home and invite participants to continue to write in their journals between workshops.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- Workshop 13
- Workshop 14
- Workshop 15
- Workshop 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources