Alternate Activity 2: Conscientious Objection
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 5, Conscientious Objection and the Draft
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- If you are or were a young person subject to Selective Service laws, have you considered or would you consider filing as a conscientious objector? Why, or why not?
- What aspects of or understandings from our Unitarian Universalism tradition and values might influence your decision?
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 5, Conscientious Objection and the Draft. Explain this was a packet the Unitarian Universalist organization Liberal Religious Youth (LRY) assembled for young men considering seeking conscientious objector status during the Vietnam War. Invite participants to turn to a partner and discuss the packet and the posted questions.
Allow ten minutes for paired discussions. Then, re-gather the group and invite volunteers to share some of what they discussed. Ask: Are there comparable movements today? What do you think about the UUA or its affiliated organizations supporting conscientious objectors in this way?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.