You Are Here
Alternate Activity 2: Conscientious Objection
Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 5, Conscientious Objection and the Draft
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write on newsprint, and post:
- If you are or were a young person subject to Selective Service laws, have you considered or would you consider filing as a conscientious objector? Why, or why not?
- What aspects of or understandings from our Unitarian Universalism tradition and values might influence your decision?
Description of Activity
Distribute Handout 5, Conscientious Objection and the Draft. Explain this was a packet the Unitarian Universalist organization Liberal Religious Youth (LRY) assembled for young men considering seeking conscientious objector status during the Vietnam War. Invite participants to turn to a partner and discuss the packet and the posted questions.
Allow ten minutes for paired discussions. Then, re-gather the group and invite volunteers to share some of what they discussed. Ask: Are there comparable movements today? What do you think about the UUA or its affiliated organizations supporting conscientious objectors in this way?