Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Your congregation's covenant, or Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Chalice, candle, and lighter, or an LED battery-operated candle
- Stand or small table for the chalice
- Cloth or decorative covering for chalice stand
Preparation for Activity
- If your congregation has a covenant or affirmation, make copies for all participants. If not, obtain copies of Singing the Living Tradition for all participants.
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
- Place copies of your congregation's covenant, or hymnbooks, on or near each chair.
Description of Activity
Bring the group together and invite a volunteer to light the chalice. Read in unison the congregation's covenant or affirmation. If you know the history of how it was developed, share it with the group.
If your congregation does not have a covenant or affirmation, share Reading 471 from the hymnbook.