Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, for all participants
- Chalice, candle, and lighter, or an LED battery-operated candle
- Appropriate stand or small table for the chalice
- Cloth or decorative covering for chalice stand
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
- Place a hymnbook on or near each chair.
Description of Activity
Bring the group together. Invite a volunteer to light the chalice. Share Reading 591,"I Call That Church Free," responsively with the group. Explain that James Luther Adams, the author of the opening words, was a prominent 20th-century Unitarian Universalist theologian.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.