Activity time: 2 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copies of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook, for all participants
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED battery-operated candle
- Appropriate stand or small table for the chalice
- Cloth or decorative covering for chalice stand
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
- Place a hymnbook on or near each chair.
Description of Activity
At the designated starting time, bring participants together and welcome them. Introduce the chalice lighting by saying, "The chalice is a symbol of Unitarian Universalism, often used in our congregations to bring us together in a spirit of reverence." Invite a volunteer to light the chalice. Share Reading 441 in Singing the Living Tradition, "To Worship," by Jacob Trapp, responsively with the group.