LEADER RESOURCE 4 Engaging as Religious Professionals
This is a 30-minute activity.
- Story, Forrest Church's Redemption Experiences
- If you have not already done so, copy the story for all participants.
Forrest Church's personal stories concern two spiritually and emotionally charged topics: death and addiction. Distribute the story and invite participants to read (or review) it. When they are done, invite them to consider and discuss these questions:
- How do you, as a religious professional, understand addiction? Does Forrest Church's description of a "God-sized hole" ring true for you? Are there other words or metaphors you might use to describe addiction from a spiritual or religious point of view?
- Do portions of your personal or family history inform your understanding of addiction?
- How do you as a religious professional and/or your congregation reach out to those who are dealing with addiction?
Death and Dying
- Forrest Church writes that nothing in his ministry is more important than being with people in times of loss. Does his statement ring true for you?
- What experiences with death and dying in your life have had the greatest impact? What wisdom did you gain from those experiences?
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.