Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Small worship table and cloth
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Taking It Home handouts for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Review the Taking It Home section. Decide which extension activities you will encourage participants to do.
- Download the Taking It Home section to your computer, customize it for your group, and copy for all participants.
Description of Activity
Gather participants around the altar or centering table. Affirm the good work that participants have done in this workshop.
Distribute the Taking It Home handout. Explain that each workshop will provide a Taking It Home handout with ideas for continuing to explore the workshop's subject with friends, co-workers, housemates, and family. Mention that the Faith in Action activities included in the handout offer another extension opportunity.
Offer as a benediction these words of Forrest Church, delivered in 2008 when he received the Award for Distinguished Service to the Cause of Unitarian Universalism, the most prestigious award given by the UUA:
Let us never forget what a privilege it is to be part of this great movement and to pronounce its saving faith: one Light (Unitarianism) shining through many windows (Universalism). Let us continue our quest together, with awe and humility, with saving openness and saving doubt, never forgetting to honor those who charted our way.
Extinguish the chalice and invite participants to go in peace.
Including All Participants
Be inclusive of people with a variety of living situations-for example, living alone, with a significant other, in a multigenerational family, or with housemates-in the way you explain the Taking It Home activities.
For more information contact email@example.com.