Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Small worship table and cloth
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Microphone
Preparation for Activity
- Set up the altar or centering table with the cloth, chalice, candle and matches or lighter.
- Place chairs in a semicircle around the table.
- Prepare and post a sheet of newsprint with these words of Annie Dillard:
We are here to abet creation and
to witness to it,
to notice each other's beautiful
face and complex nature
so that creation need not play to
an empty house.
Description of Activity
Invite a participant to light the chalice while you share these words of Forrest Church:
Religion is our human response to the dual reality of being alive and having to die... for most of us, knowing that we are mortal inspires a search for answers that will remain valid in spite of our mortality. If religion is our response to the dual reality of being alive and having to die, the purpose of life is to live in such a way that our lives will prove worth dying for.
Invite participants to join in reading the opening words you have posted on newsprint, "We are here to abet creation" by Annie Dillard.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.